Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Not so spiritual chemo

I had my second chemo treatment today and tried do the same visualization technique I had done last time to see where is might take me this time around. Unfortunately, the woman in the chair next to me talked so loudly I could not concentrate at all. 

I ended up using my phone to listen to some meditation music to try and drown her out, but I don't like to turn the volume more than about half way up, so it just became one noise competing with another. I ended up somewhat dozing off toward the end, but that was about as "away" as I got. 

Oh well, the good news of the day is that I met with the doctor who examined my breast and measured my breast lump which has gone from over 6cm wide to about 4. And the lymph node that can be felt in my armpit is about 1/3 the size it was. And just after 1 chemo treatment. So to quote the great philosopher Charlie Sheen, "Boom, crush. Night, losers. Winning, duh!"

A gift I received from the Swanks was a big hit amount the chemo nurses. My power chemo socks which have figures which look like the Morton salt girl getting blown away in the rain and say "Fuck this shit", on them. Not necessarily something you might wear everyday and yet so appropriate for this occasion. 

My next appointment, which is on January 13th, I will get all my scans done, which will give us a better look at my progress. My 3rd round of chemo is scheduled on the 20th. So more good thoughts and energy coming up team. 

Now for the struggle which has come up over the last week. With all the good treats that have been given to me for the holidays I am now craving sugar, and was particularly set off by Aunt Janice's homemade fudge. Two days after Christmas I was craving it so bad I actually raided the cookie tin Kim had packed to give to my brother and his family to see if there might be any in there.

I started wondering if it was actually me or the cancer that was so wanting these delicious confections. I came to the conclusion that the only thing cancer and I agree on is that fudge is good. Luckily there was none to be found and we will both be avoiding the sugar and processed foods and returning to a more paleo friendly diet for a healthy New year. 

"I'm different. I have a different constitution. I have a different brain, I have a different heart. I got tiger blood, man. Dying's for fools, dying's for amateurs." ~Charlie Sheen, beloved dumbass. 

No comments: