Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 20 - A Day Unplanned

Today has been a really great day. I started off thinking I would drive straight to the Escalante area to gather Moqui balls, but life is what happens while you're busy making plans. It has been such an adventure getting here. First I stopped by Blue Valley Ghost Ranch. The town was known a Giles and it appears that there is/was some sort of effort to revitalize it and start some kind of investment opportunity with farming, but the buildings that were there for that also looked abandoned. There were some flyers which I took and will have to look into further.


The town has an iconic backdrop called Steamboat Point, which was pretty cool.


At first, as I drove around there wasn't much to see other than a few signs. Then I came upon some old wood posts, but not much else.





Then I drove by this. You can barely see the partial outline of a structure made of stone.


So I decided to get out and walk around and see if maybe there were more. The more I walked to more I saw. A whole town started to slowly reveal itself.








When I left I was rather dusty and was able to stop along this river and wash up. It felt so good.


Then I stopped at the Fremont Petroglyphs.



In the historic town of Fruita (not the same as in Colorado) I visited an old schoolhouse.



Then I visited Capital Reef National Park.


Drove through the Dixie National Forest where I literally went over a hill and it was just suddenly green. And cows were grazing everywhere and standing in the middle of the road.



I drove back down and into Grande Staircase-Escalante National Monument and eventually got to the trailhead that was my original destination just as it was starting to get dark.


What a day. Time for a little dinner and a nice fire before bed.

"You can't have simultaneous balance and change." Relativity ~ Antonia Hayes

No comments: