Thursday, September 22, 2016

September 22 - Violence, violence and more violence

So I have decided to stop and take a couple days to catch up on my blog, take a shower, my first in a week and a half, and take a look at where I am headed. I first checked the room out to make sure it is clean as I think we all do, then decided to just watch a little TV and chill a while before getting to work.

As the TV came on I was greeted with the latest police shootings, I turned the channel, a movie about war, next a cop show investigating a murder, violence again and again, Housewives of whatever city screaming at each other, click, cartoons, yes, even the cartoons. I eventually settled for American Pickers.

Look I readily admit I'm not typically put off by violence. I love movies like Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers, TV shows like The Walking Dead for their look into the human psyche. Maybe it's just from being immersed in nature and away from television and the internet for the most part. But, on second thought, there is plenty of violence in nature. I watched a magpie rip apart a lizard and eat it.


Maybe the difference is that for the most part, that violence has a purpose rather than the senseless violence we are so often subjected to through the media. Human beings shooting each other in the real world just never makes sense to me. Watching grown, bottle blond, botox injected, gold-digging women pretend to be friends, until they have too much to drink, scream at each other over stupid shit is not entertainment and I don't understand a world where people are mesmerized by this.


As far as the cartoons, I can't speak much to this. I don't have kids and I don't watch them myself. I'm sure there are some that have some mild violence as they make an attempt to portray the age old battle of good versus evil, but I'm sure there are plenty that just have gratuitous violence for what purpose I am unsure.


I'm not trying to pass judgement. I don't have any answers. It's just an observation as I come out of the woods and back into "civilization".

No comments: