Thursday, December 25, 2014

Get over hair!

Several people have asked me whether or not I will lose my hair with the chemo treatments. In fact, it is one of the first things some people seem to be concerned about. Perhaps it is just because they don't really know what else to say. 

For educational purposes let me say that most but not all people lose their hair. There is no way to know until it happens. Some lose it the day after they start chemo, while others may make it a few rounds before it falls out. Some lose it very quickly while for others the process is gradual. 

So my answer has been I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see...until now. The process has begun. I showered yesterday and found an abnormal amount of hair loss while shampooing. I don't shower everyday because my skin is so ridiculously dry it can't handle it so I thought well it's probably falling out but it is possible it is just from not washing it in a while. 

This morning I went in the bathroom when getting ready and thought I would try and do something with it, because if you know me, then just wearing it down flat it not acceptable. My hair needs a little funk, a little attitude. But my plan was quickly thwarted because it was coming out in small clumps and I needed it to stay attached at least for the rest of the day. 

I have shaved my head about a half dozen times, on purpose, so being bald is not an issue for me. I rock a bald head. I have had some pretty funk hairstyles but randomized bald patches is not quite the look I'm going for. 

Although losing my hair does not bother me in the least, the process of it does. I cried for just a minute because it is just another reminder, a slap in the face really, that hey you have cancer and you are poisoning your body to try and stay alive. 

Merry Christmas to me
Merry Christmas to me
In another day or two
I'll be a baldy. 

In the next day or two I will be shaving it off. Besides not wanting the weird bald patches, I don't want to find clumps of hair all over my house. It's funny how hair attached to a head is awesome. We admire it and run our fingers through it. But as soon as it becomes detached it is gross. Just think about the last time you found an unfamiliar hair on your clothes or laying on your desk. Ewww!

So by the time I see most of you again, I will be sporting a new style. And it's okay. Hairs to change. Even when it's not something you were looking for. Hell, especially when it's not what you were looking for, because that's when real transformation takes place. 

No comments: